The fastest message board....ever.

| KOTIMAISIA ARTISTEJA | GALLERIA | TULEVAT TAPAHTUMAT |
Fi-Reggae: Jamaika
Matkakertomukset, jamaikalainen kulttuuri
Travel stories, Jamaican culture
Trip report from Jamaica (April 2004)
Kirjoitti: ()
Päiväys:

Laitoin 'Jamaica Spring 2005'-matkakertomukseni lisäksi nyt myös tän vuotta varhaisemman raportin takaisin palstalle. Vuonna 2004 stoori oli (lähinnä virolaisten lukijoiden takia?) englanniksi ja teksti tiivistetympää:

-------

Mar 29 - Apr 2, 2004: Four first nights @ Hotel Chelsea, New Kingston. Searching for a rental apartment.

Thu, Apr 1: Stone Love's Dancehall Night @ Asylum. Surprise live guests: Richie Spice and Chuck Fender. Great night! I had a word with Danny English and Future Troubles.

Fri, Apr 2: Moved into a nice rental house in Patrick City. Almost 100 m2 of the house in my use (270 eur/month). Neighbour on the other side of the house: producer Marlon "Pyrana" Cooke (Dejavu label). All-inclusive uptown party Osmosis up in Beverly Hills: mostly reggae and hiphop. Renaissance, Coppershot & DJ Bambino at the controls. Pure cds, no 45s. Delano told me Renaissance had almost fully switched to cds. Excellent party, but way too crowded - especially the front of the bar. That's why I had to order huge straight-up Appleton rums. Kingston by night from the hills is the most beautiful scene, I've ever seen. I chatted with Assassin, Delano, Looga, Kid Kurrupt and Pyrana among others.
Whaddat.com report by Quizz: [www.whaddat.com]

Sat, Apr 3: Woke up around 5 pm. Moderate hangover. My cell phone was locked due to mistyping the PIN code three times after Osmosis, and I had no idea about the PUK code. No idea about time either, because the phone (my only clock) was locked. No food in the house. Neither drinks. Only warm water. The mysterious eclipse was not an eclipse, but simply a sunset... Later in the evening I got the PUK from a friend of mine at Digicel Tropical Plaza. Connected again!

Sun, Apr 4: The phone broke during a call! 'Contact service' was all what appeared on the display.

Mon, Apr 5: Service contacted. New Nokia 1100 from Digicel with 28 euros. Connected again!

Wed, Apr 7: At 11 pm to Brown Sugar @ Weekenz Bar on Constant Spring Road: Tony Matterhorn and Swatch International. Good party, plenty of excellent dubs. I gave two 45 adapters to Matterhorn. Around 3 am by cab to the popular weekly ghetto party Passa Passa on Spanish Town Road in Tivoli Gardens. Same sounds as in Brown Sugar. Very nice vibes. Back home after 7 am by bus.

Thu, Apr 8: Quad (new, very modern club) in New Kingston: Renaissance & Coppershot. Wicked, wicked dubs! Great night!

Fri, Apr 9: First to Ranny Williams Centre off Hope Road. Pinchers, Abijah, Turbulence, Bass Odyssey, Black Scorpio among others were supposed to be there, but the show was cancelled as people didn't show up. Black Scorpio was playing at the venue for a while, but packed up the sound around 11 pm. I continued with three friends of mine to Skateland in Half Way Tree where Stone Love was supposed to play. Another cancelled show during the quiet Easter season. :-(

Sat, Apr 10: British Link-Up with many sounds. Due to the rumours about cancellation of many Easter shows, I didn't bother to go to La Roose in Port Henderson. Later I heard that the party wasn't cancelled. :-(

Sun, Apr 11: Dancehall Vintage @ Marketplace, Half Way Tree, Kingston. Rumours and false information again! I missed this show, although I was on my way there! Afterwards I was told it was a great show. There were many veteran artists and four sounds at Marketplace. Not many people showed up, though. The sounds were: Sturgav, Black Scorpio, Jammy's and GT Aggregation! And the artists were: U-Roy, Charlie Chaplin, Josey Wales, General Trees, Bunny General, Johnny Ringo, Pad Anthony, etc. Lawd a mercy!
[www.jamaica-gleaner.com]

Mon, Apr 12: Death Before Dishonour Clash @ Pier One, Montego Bay. Got a ride to MoBay and back from June, Dancehall Queen Junko's manager. Arigato! Great clash! Jus' pure wickedness!!! Black Kat won, Matterhorn was second, then Mighty Crown. Poison Dart was eliminated first, then Trooper. In the crowd and at backstage I chatted with Freddie of Jaro, Pantha of Black Kat and Matterhorn. That time I gave a pair of 45 adapters to Freddie, Pantha and Crown. Back in Kingston just before 11 am.
[www.whaddat.com]

Thu, Apr 15: On the afternoon I met John aka Rhythmwize from the rec.music.reggae newsgroup and his wife Emily in the Pegasus hotel. It was very nice to meet them. Stone Love's founder Fadda Pow stepped into the same elevator with us in Pegasus. Of course I greeted the big man from "my community", Patrick City. ;-) In the evening at 8 pm: The Living Legends concert @ Kings House Lawn: Mighty Sparrow, Calypso Rose and David Rudder all from Trinidad & Tobago. From the Jamaican camp: Ernie Smith, Ken Lazarus, Pluto Shervington, Keith Lyn, Byron Lee & the Dragonaires and Merritone Disco. Big people among audience: Governor-General Cooke, PJ Patterson, Seaga, Omar Davies, etc.
[www.jamaicaobserver.com]

After midnight from the Kings House party straight to Stone Love's Dancehall Night at Asylum with John and Emily. Nice vibes once again by the champion sound and Asylum people.

Fri, Apr 16: Carnival time! Jouvert @ Mas Camp, Oxford Road. Destra & Atlantik from Trinidad kept everybody jumping up and waving! What a show! Later on, head gone completely! Pure madness with the paint! After a short road parade (actually it wasn't very short for drunk people early in the morning) and Jouvert breakfast, I headed to Pegasus, as I left my phone, keys, etc. in John's and Emily's room. All the revellers covered by paint (like me) had to take a shower at Pegasus yard before entering the top-class hotel.
[www.jamaica-gleaner.com]

Sat, Apr 17: Very enjoyable night @ Asylum. Regular Asylum selectors at the controls.

Thu, Apr 22: A friend of mine arranged a visit to the headquarters of Shocking Vibes Production. Maestro himself aka Beenie Man wasn't there, but I met CEO & producer Patrick Roberts, engineer Andrew "Grumps" Thomas and artists Kirk Davis, Devonte, Tanto Metro, Mr. Balance aka Snaggapuss, etc. In the evening: Stone Love's Dancehall Night @ Asylum. Surprise live guest: Burro Banton. Another great night with Stone Love! Fadda Pow himself was on the mic for long time. So was Rory, who used to be called 'Whory' by some females back in his great years! ;-) Once again many artists among audience: Elephant, Ghost, Harry Toddler, Ricky Ticky...

Fri, Apr 23: Lady Saw's Grammy Party @ Weekenz. After Ken Boothe's and Da'Ville's performances my companion wanted to check that everything was OK with her car, which we had parked off Constant Spring Road. "No need for that", I said, but unfortunately I was wrong. One of the windows was smashed and a door lock was missing. :-( Nothing else was missing, though. The radio was left intact. Couldn't leave the car there, so we didn't see Saw, Cobra, Bounti, etc.

Sat, Apr 24: I skipped the Stars R Us concert loaded with veteran artists due to Future Trouble's Birthday Bash @ Backyaad, where Future Troubles, Bounty Killer, Kid Kurrup, Ghost, Tony Curtis, Lukie D, Chicken, Ricky Ticky, wall-famous ;-) L.A. Lewis, etc. shared the mic. An Adonai selector and some other selectors were at the controls. Approximately only 150 people, but very nice vibes! "Troubles, yuh need betta promotion nex' time!", as Bounti declared. I gave a bottle of Kossu aka Koskenkorva (Finnish vodka) to Future Troubles as a birthday present.

Mon, Apr 26: I sent my records (70 kg) to Finland by DHL. Almost missed my flight because of a crash in Rockfort. Unfortunately I didn't. :-(

[youtube.com]

Muokattu 3 kertaa. Muokattu viimeksi .

Re: Trip report from Jamaica (April 2004)
Päiväys:

Enemmän, kiitosh. :)

Päiväys:

Joo, vähän oli pettymys aiempiin matkaraportteihin verrattuna. Tässä kun oli aika tiivistä raportointia substanssista, mutta vibat jäi vähän vähälle. Lähtisköhän suomeksi se kertojanääni soimaan värikkäämmin?

One Love,

Rootz

Päiväys:

Muokattu 1 kertaa. Muokattu viimeksi .

Päiväys:

Joo, tästä vaan tuli vähän turhan "asiallinen" olo, tästä faktaraportoinnista. Aiemmissa on ollut jotenkin enemmän fiilistä. Eihän niitä ole niin osannut kommentoimaan lähteä, mutta mä ainakin olen noiden aiempien lukemisesta nauttinut. If it's not broke, why fix it? Mikä muuten ois vastaava sanonta jamaikaksi?

One Love,

Rootz

Päiväys:

Ja tänään tuskin tulee suuremmin ulkoiltua, takana aamuvuoro 3,5 tunnin unilla...

One Love,

Rootz

Päiväys:

No vähän palautetta, mun mielestä noi sun raportit on Fi-reggaen parasta antia. Kannattais julkasta joku pieni lehti/kirjanen noista jossain välissä, todella mielenkiintosia juttuja.Kiitos niistä.

Päiväys:

Rootzi hei! Sähän voisit tehdä meille sellaisen HYVÄN matkailuraportin. Väännä se gradu nyt valmiiksi ja palkitse itsesi Jamaikan-matkalla ;)

Päiväys:

Mitä mä Jamaikalla tekisin? Afrikka se on, joka gradun valmistuttua kutsuu.

One Love,

Rootz

Päiväys:

Eiks ne oo yks ja sama juttu?

Päiväys:

On niillä ainakin sama lippu...

One Love,

Rootz

Päiväys:

Päiväys:

Päiväys:

Kopioin nyt tämänkin JA-matkaraportin takas palstalle luettavaksi. Löytyy tän ketjun alusta.

[youtube.com]

This forum powered by Phorum.